The Food and Beverage Importers Association (FBIA) is Australia’s peak industry body representing members with imported food regulators, food authorities, the supply chain, international trade and development organizations. The FBIA provides a personalised service to support the commercial outcomes of its members while meeting public health policies.
FBIA members import a range of products including beverages, retail ready foods, fresh produce, and ingredients for further processing. Products transverse a range of commodities such as fruit and vegetables, nuts, dairy, seafood, confectionery, oils, and retorted foods.
FBIA members include large multi-national companies through to small specialist importers.
The Food and Beverage Importers Association has two key objectives:
- to inform and advise members about various aspects of government regulation; and
- to represent the general and specific interests of the imported food and beverage industry with a range of stakeholders.
The FBIA was formed in 1989 when two associations (the Packaged Food Importers Group and the Bulk Food Importers Group) joined together to respond more effectively to the regulatory challenges faced by the industry.
The FBIA works to promote the interests of importers on a wide range of issues, including:
- The Imported Food Inspection Scheme administered by the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Proposed amendments to the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code
- Import permit conditions
- Biosecurity conditions for imported food
- Border issues
The Association has a strong history of working to improve the overall regulatory structures governing food & beverage imports. The FBIA has achieved positive outcomes with government agencies by working proactively, collaboratively, and transparently.
The FBIA is represented on a range of consultative committees including:
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment:
- Cargo Consultative Committee, Food and Grocery Sector Group, Imported Food Consultative Committee, Imported Food Laboratory Consultation , Biologicals Consultative Group, Imported Fresh Produce Working Group, Biosecurity Futures, and Biosecurity Roundtable.
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ):
- Retailers and Manufacturers Liaison Committee, Allergen Collaboration Steering Committee.
- National Food Incidence workshop.
National Measurement Institute:
- Consumer & Industry Liaison Committee.
- International Trade Remedies Forum, National Committee on Trade Facilitation, OTS Cargo Working Group, and DFAT Consultation Forums.
- International Trade Remedies Forum and associated forums.
The FBIA also contribute to government and parliamentary reviews on issues such as cost recovery and biosecurity.