- Clarity of food labelling such as nutritional information, additives, allergen information;
- Appropriate use of additives; and
- Appropriate levels of pesticides, antibiotics, microbiological and metal contaminants, and natural toxicants.
As with all countries, it is not practical to inspect every imported food item and so, Australia has adopted a risk- based border inspection scheme The Department of Agriculture takes advice from Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) on those foods that pose a medium to high risk to public health and safety.
More information can be found at:
- Department of Agriculture and Water Resources – www.agriculture.gov.au/import/food
- FSANZ – www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/importedfoods/pages/default.aspx